Close Menu
    Trending
    • Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows
    • Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias
    • DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases
    • DRC Ebola outbreak hits record with 2,325 deaths
    • Magnitude 5.4 quake hits Gilgit-Baltistan near Sost
    • South Korea car exports set July high at $6.24 billion
    • Global electric vehicle sales rise 9% in July 2026
    • U.S. Polo Assn. Takes No. 1 Spot for All Sports Brands and Climbs to No. 22 Overall on License Global’s 2026 ‘Top Global Licensors’ Ranking
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    Africa News HoundAfrica News Hound
    Friday, August 21
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Luxury
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Africa News HoundAfrica News Hound
    Home » 60,000 Coronavirus deaths confirmed by China as WHO investigates
    Health

    60,000 Coronavirus deaths confirmed by China as WHO investigates

    January 16, 2023
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    Beijing reported nearly 60,000 Coronavirus-related deaths since Dec. 8, prompting the WHO to urge China to keep releasing COVID-19 data. Beijing announced the death toll as the Communist Party abruptly dropped antivirus restrictions in December despite a surge in infections. The WHO and other governments appealed for information, while the United States, South Korea and other countries restricted Chinese visitors.

    60,000 Coronavirus deaths confirmed by China as WHO investigatesThe Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention had previously reported 36 deaths between Dec. 7 and Jan. 8. Beijing said 5,503 people died of respiratory failure caused by COVID-19 between Dec. 8 and Jan. 12, and 54,435 people died from cancer, heart disease, and other ailments combined with COVID-19.

    Compared to the previous dubiously-low death toll of 10,775 since the disease was discovered in Wuhan in 2019, these figures mark an increase. “With Beijing’s announcement, WHO can better understand the epidemiological situation.” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, talked by telephone with Ma Xiaowei, Chinese health minister.

    “WHO requested that this type of detailed information continue to be shared with us and the public,” it said. According to the National Health Commission, only deaths occurring in hospitals are included, which means anyone who dies at home will not be counted in the study. No indication was given as to when or whether updated figures would be released. In its official toll, China has only included deaths resulting from pneumonia or respiratory failure, excluding many other deaths that may be linked to this virus.

    Related Posts

    Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows

    August 19, 2026

    DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases

    August 17, 2026

    DR Congo Ebola outbreak passes 1,900 deaths

    August 11, 2026

    Obesity linked to 8.2% of Belgium deaths national study shows

    August 8, 2026

    New Ebola vaccine enters human trial as Congo cases rise

    August 5, 2026

    Michigan outbreak update confirms two cyclospora deaths

    August 4, 2026
    Latest News

    Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows

    August 19, 2026

    DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The World Health Organization says the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo could be contained within three months if the response receives enough…

    Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias

    August 19, 2026

    NORTH SUMATRA / RankWire.AI / – A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck offshore near Indonesia’s North Sumatra province on Tuesday, sending tremors across several parts of Sumatra. The quake occurred at 1:02:23 p.m. western Indonesian time,…

    DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases

    August 17, 2026

    BUNIA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The Democratic Republic of the Congo recorded 26,064,143 malaria cases in 2025, underscoring the scale of the disease nationwide. Health officials also reported 29,938 malaria-related…

    DRC Ebola outbreak hits record with 2,325 deaths

    August 17, 2026

    KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has become the deadliest the country has recorded. Government figures showed 4,945 confirmed cases and…

    © 2026 Africa News Hound | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.