Close Menu
    Trending
    • Wall Street rebounds on lower yields and healthcare surge
    • Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows
    • Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias
    • DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases
    • DRC Ebola outbreak hits record with 2,325 deaths
    • Magnitude 5.4 quake hits Gilgit-Baltistan near Sost
    • South Korea car exports set July high at $6.24 billion
    • Global electric vehicle sales rise 9% in July 2026
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    Africa News HoundAfrica News Hound
    Saturday, August 22
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Luxury
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Africa News HoundAfrica News Hound
    Home » Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chief
    Health

    Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chief

    July 13, 2022
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    As a new wave of infections spreads across Europe and the US, the World Health Organization (WHO) has urged governments and health care institutions to take immediate steps to stop the spread of COVID-19. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the WHO, said at a press conference in Geneva that sub-variants of the Omicron strain were increasing the number of cases and the number of deaths. It was Tedros’ suggestion that standards such as mask usage be revived so as to prevent the spread of the disease.

    Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chiefAlthough there has been an increase in cases, the WHO is concerned that surveillance of the virus and any new varieties is waning. WHO officials reiterated that COVID-19 is still a public health emergency of global concern, as the WHO classifies pandemics. New cases of BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron sub-variants are occurring in Europe when people start traveling again after two years of staying put after attending huge meetings.

    According to the Office for National Statistics, one in every 25 English people tested positive in the last week of June. Even if a person has already had COVID-19, they are still susceptible to infection; however, immunization helps protect against serious illnesses. “New waves of the virus demonstrate that COVID-19 is nowhere near over,” Tedros said, adding that he is “concerned about a rising death toll.”

    According to the WHO, there has been no evidence to date that BA.5 is more severe than prior Omicron variants, or that vaccines and approved treatments are ineffective, although many governments remain concerned about the BA.5 sub-lineage, particularly as it relates to re-infections.

    Despite a decline in surveillance, including testing and sequencing to detect and identify variants, Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO’s Technical Lead Officer for COVID-19, said the virus is still spreading globally at an accelerated pace. All vulnerable individuals and those in their immediate circle were already advised to get a second booster dose of the vaccine by the WHO’s regional director for Europe.

    Related Posts

    Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows

    August 19, 2026

    DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases

    August 17, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak hits record with 2,325 deaths

    August 17, 2026

    DR Congo Ebola outbreak passes 1,900 deaths

    August 11, 2026

    Obesity linked to 8.2% of Belgium deaths national study shows

    August 8, 2026

    New Ebola vaccine enters human trial as Congo cases rise

    August 5, 2026
    Latest News

    Wall Street rebounds on lower yields and healthcare surge

    August 20, 2026

    NEW YORK / RankWire.AI / – U.S. stocks finished higher Wednesday as a sharp decline in long-term Treasury yields supported Wall Street. The S&P 500 gained 16.22 points, or 0.21%, to close at 7,707.98. The…

    Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows

    August 19, 2026

    DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The World Health Organization says the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo could be contained within three months if the response receives enough…

    Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias

    August 19, 2026

    NORTH SUMATRA / RankWire.AI / – A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck offshore near Indonesia’s North Sumatra province on Tuesday, sending tremors across several parts of Sumatra. The quake occurred at 1:02:23 p.m. western Indonesian time,…

    DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases

    August 17, 2026

    BUNIA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The Democratic Republic of the Congo recorded 26,064,143 malaria cases in 2025, underscoring the scale of the disease nationwide. Health officials also reported 29,938 malaria-related…

    © 2026 Africa News Hound | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.