Close Menu
    Trending
    • Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows
    • Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias
    • DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases
    • DRC Ebola outbreak hits record with 2,325 deaths
    • Magnitude 5.4 quake hits Gilgit-Baltistan near Sost
    • South Korea car exports set July high at $6.24 billion
    • Global electric vehicle sales rise 9% in July 2026
    • U.S. Polo Assn. Takes No. 1 Spot for All Sports Brands and Climbs to No. 22 Overall on License Global’s 2026 ‘Top Global Licensors’ Ranking
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    Africa News HoundAfrica News Hound
    Friday, August 21
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Luxury
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Africa News HoundAfrica News Hound
    Home » December COVID-19 infections estimated at 250 million in China
    Health

    December COVID-19 infections estimated at 250 million in China

    December 24, 2022
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    China’s top health officials estimate that almost 250 million people caught COVID-19 in the first 20 days of December, Bloomberg News and the Financial Times reported. It represents the largest COVID-19 outbreak to date, affecting roughly 18% of China’s 1.4 billion people. Several sources familiar with the matter or involved in the discussion said the figures were presented at an internal meeting of China’s National Health Commission (NHC) on Wednesday. In its summary, the NHC discussed the treatment of patients affected by the ongoing outbreak.

    According to both reports, 37 million people were newly infected with COVID-19 across China on Tuesday alone. That was in stark contrast to the official number of 3,049 new infections reported that day. Sun Yang, deputy director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, was quoted by the Financial Times as having presented the figures to officials during a closed-door briefing.

    According to the Financial Times, Sun explained that COVID’s spread in China was still increasing. He also explained that more than half of the population in Beijing and Sichuan had already been infected. At the start of December, China abruptly dismantled its strict zero-COVID policy, which had been in place for almost three years. This is in stark contrast to the NHC’s December data, which reported only 62,592 symptomatic COVID-19 cases.

    Since China has shut down its nationwide network of PCR testing booths and said they would stop gathering data on asymptomatic cases, it is unclear how the NHC came up with the estimates cited in Bloomberg and the Financial Times. Additionally, people in China are now using rapid antigen tests to detect infections and are not required to report positive results. Only eight COVID-19 deaths have been reported in China so far this month. This is a remarkable number given the recent spread of the virus and the low vaccination rates among the elderly.

    Related Posts

    Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows

    August 19, 2026

    DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases

    August 17, 2026

    DR Congo Ebola outbreak passes 1,900 deaths

    August 11, 2026

    Obesity linked to 8.2% of Belgium deaths national study shows

    August 8, 2026

    New Ebola vaccine enters human trial as Congo cases rise

    August 5, 2026

    Michigan outbreak update confirms two cyclospora deaths

    August 4, 2026
    Latest News

    Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows

    August 19, 2026

    DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The World Health Organization says the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo could be contained within three months if the response receives enough…

    Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias

    August 19, 2026

    NORTH SUMATRA / RankWire.AI / – A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck offshore near Indonesia’s North Sumatra province on Tuesday, sending tremors across several parts of Sumatra. The quake occurred at 1:02:23 p.m. western Indonesian time,…

    DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases

    August 17, 2026

    BUNIA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The Democratic Republic of the Congo recorded 26,064,143 malaria cases in 2025, underscoring the scale of the disease nationwide. Health officials also reported 29,938 malaria-related…

    DRC Ebola outbreak hits record with 2,325 deaths

    August 17, 2026

    KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has become the deadliest the country has recorded. Government figures showed 4,945 confirmed cases and…

    © 2026 Africa News Hound | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.