Close Menu
    Trending
    • Wall Street rebounds on lower yields and healthcare surge
    • Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows
    • Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias
    • DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases
    • DRC Ebola outbreak hits record with 2,325 deaths
    • Magnitude 5.4 quake hits Gilgit-Baltistan near Sost
    • South Korea car exports set July high at $6.24 billion
    • Global electric vehicle sales rise 9% in July 2026
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    Africa News HoundAfrica News Hound
    Saturday, August 22
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Luxury
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Africa News HoundAfrica News Hound
    Home » Kingdom censures statements of Lebanese Foreign Minister
    News

    Kingdom censures statements of Lebanese Foreign Minister

    May 19, 2021
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte
    Saudi Arabia has strongly condemned and denounced derogatory statements made by the caretaker Lebanese Foreign Minister, Charbel Wehbe, during a TV interview on Monday regarding the Kingdom and its citizens. In a statement on Tuesday carried by the Saudi Press Agency, the Saudi foreign ministry said the disgraceful remarks were also directed against Gulf Cooperation Council member states apart from Saudi Arabia and its people.

    Kingdom censures statements of Lebanese Foreign Minister

    The caretaker foreign minister Charbel Wehbe during his TV interview made derogatory remarks aimed at Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states and suggested that the Kingdom had helped fund the rise of ISIS in Syria and Iraq. Mr Wehbe was also heard referring to a Saudi guest on the TV show as a Bedouin in a derogatory reference to nomadic Arab tribes that have historically inhabited the Arabian Peninsula and other parts of the Middle East denoting that Arabs and Gulf citizens are still backward and uncivilized.

    The foreign ministry said that these statements are inconsistent with the simplest diplomatic norms and are inconsistent with the historical relations between the two countries. Given the fallout that the derogatory statements may have on bilateral relations, the ministry summoned the Lebanese ambassador to the Kingdom to express the Kingdom’s rejection and denunciation of the remarks made by the Lebanese foreign minister. The Lebanese ambassador was handed over a demarche in this regard.
    Only last month, Saudi Arabia announced that it has officially banned all fruits and vegetables from Lebanon from entering the country after the customs authorities at Jeddah Port foiled an attempt to smuggle Captagon pills hidden in pomegranates that came from Lebanon. Lebanese fruit and vegetable imports were banned from entering Saudi Arabia or transiting via the Kingdom as of 9 a.m. on Sunday April 25, 2021 in a bid to prevent drug trafficking.
    Interior Minister Prince Abdul Aziz bin Saud bin Naif warned that the Kingdom’s security was “a red line.” According to Al-Arabiya English, Lebanese officials quickly pledged to do more to combat drug smuggling following the ban. The repercussions of this ban could be very serious for Lebanon because the issue was very serious, has negatively affected the image of Lebanon in the rest of the Gulf countries that could take similar or stringent measures.
    Lebanon is the smallest country in continental Asia and their financial woes and image are taking a battering globally. Lebanese economic growth has slowed consistently since 2011 following the Syrian conflict and internal political tensions. They have experienced a sharp decline in 2019 and 2020. Financial difficulties were compounded with a political catastrophe and led to dangerous social remonstrations. As the Lebanese economy was already severely destabilized, the civil unrest, together with the August explosion in Beirut’s port and the Covid-19 outbreak, has created a profound and long-term impact on the country’s socio-economic resilience.
    According to the IMF’s updated October 2020 forecast, GDP growth is projected at -25% in 2020. The traditional engines of growth in Lebanon (real estate, construction and tourism) have stalled and the banking sector, which until now has been praised for its resilience, has collapsed. In fact, on 9 March Lebanon failed to repay a $1.2 billion Eurobond, the first sovereign default in the country’s history.
    The country’s currency has collapsed to amongst the weakest in the world and the value is so low that nobody knows what Lebanon’s currency is worth anymore. Public debt was estimated at 171.7% in 2020, according to IMF figures updated in October 2020. Lebanon is the third most indebted country in the world, after Japan and Greece. The already high budget deficit has worsened to -12.8% of GDP in 2020. High public debt and a persistent overall deficit limited government action during economic downturns and following the Covid-19 crisis. The IMF estimates inflation at a record high of 85.5% in 2020.
    The latest impasse with the Arab countries and Lebanon’s political paralysis have accentuated one of the worst economic and financial crises to engulf the country since 2019, with the international community and Gulf states shying away from providing financial support given a lack of reform and Hezbollah’s tightening grip on the country – no end seems in sight.

    Related Posts

    Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias

    August 19, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak hits record with 2,325 deaths

    August 17, 2026

    Magnitude 5.4 quake hits Gilgit-Baltistan near Sost

    August 14, 2026

    Total eclipse tracks across Russia, Iceland and Spain

    August 13, 2026

    UN marks International Youth Day with youth investment call

    August 13, 2026

    Social media addiction suits advance against Meta, peers

    August 12, 2026
    Latest News

    Wall Street rebounds on lower yields and healthcare surge

    August 20, 2026

    NEW YORK / RankWire.AI / – U.S. stocks finished higher Wednesday as a sharp decline in long-term Treasury yields supported Wall Street. The S&P 500 gained 16.22 points, or 0.21%, to close at 7,707.98. The…

    Congo Ebola outbreak passes 5,000 cases as response grows

    August 19, 2026

    DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The World Health Organization says the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo could be contained within three months if the response receives enough…

    Magnitude 6.1 quake shakes Indonesia near South Nias

    August 19, 2026

    NORTH SUMATRA / RankWire.AI / – A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck offshore near Indonesia’s North Sumatra province on Tuesday, sending tremors across several parts of Sumatra. The quake occurred at 1:02:23 p.m. western Indonesian time,…

    DRC malaria toll nears 30,000 deaths after 26 million cases

    August 17, 2026

    BUNIA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO / RankWire.AI / – The Democratic Republic of the Congo recorded 26,064,143 malaria cases in 2025, underscoring the scale of the disease nationwide. Health officials also reported 29,938 malaria-related…

    © 2026 Africa News Hound | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.